Tuesday, October 4

Losing Identity?


I have been asked by a dearly friend of mine what is it that I think about Mexicans living in the United States. There is not much science to that, really. Most of “us” (Mexicans) come to the United States looking for the “American Dream” due to several different circumstances. Some of us come only for “a year or two” (yeah right!), and some come decided to make it in this country any way possible. It is really easy to say and I know that what I am saying is the honest truth, but Mexicans here in the US and in any part of the world stay Mexicans. Some of us never lose our identity and the older we come to be the more stuck to our roots we are. We don’t lose our traditions, we don’t lose our cultural believes, we don’t lose our religion; we just stay who we are for a long time. But, you know I have to say that also depends in the level of education that the person have. If the Mexican we are talking about has a high level of education it is easy for him/her to blend in this culture, to learn the language faster, and even learn the way society moves. In general I guess Mexicans will be Mexicans. Now, Mexicans born in the United States, form parents that are originally from Mexico, they are a whole different story. I have seen these teenagers and even adults take the Mexican pride in a totally different level (sometimes I don’t agree in it). Some of them don’t know (or want) to speak Spanish, the reason might be because they don’t want to be classified as Just Mexicans but rather be known as “Latinos” only. So I think these compaƱeros are in a totally misguided definition of Mexicans (and YES I think they lose their Mexican Identity, and yes they became more gringos than anything else). Katie my friend would that be your third category?? Now, I mean come on, after living in Mexico DF, for what? Two? Three years? You come to tell me that you don’t understand why people send US $$ to Mexico?!?!? The answer is so simple, to support their families! This is really true, I mean most of the new immigrants if not all of them, left someone related back home someone dearly. So there, that’s the reason why. And there is Ofelia, she is sending $$ to Mexico so that the construction of her new house finishes. Yeah, that’s right; Mexicans also send money so that they can build their own homes to give a better life to their love ones. And oh man, the sacrifices, well leaving their families back home, and that include: Children, Mother, Father, siblings, etc. that is a huge sacrifice if you ask me, Mexican culture is a strong family oriented. Not to mention all the people that dies when they are trying to cross the border (I’ll never understand it) we Mexicans are a really hard working community, I mean just go to any restaurant here in Chicago (of any kind) the kitchens are filled with Mexicans, Italian restaurants (Mexicans), Indian restaurants (Mexicans), Mexican restaurants (Mexicans), Greek restaurants (Mexicans), and I could go on and on and on and on…. But well, I hope (big hopes uh?) I hope some day, politics, and country policies change for the better of Immigrants in the whole world, because I know is not only with Mexicans, but with immigrants from all over the world that we see all of these similar situations….

No comments:

Search